Set the Display Preferences for New and Imported DNA Sequences
How do I set the default appearance for newly created or imported DNA sequences?
Click SnapGene → Preferences (macOS) or Edit → Preferences (Windows or Linux), and select "DNA" in the sidebar.
Choose the Enzyme Set
Toggle the "Show enzymes" button to show or hide restriction enzyme sites. Use the drop-down menu to select the enzyme set to use for new or imported DNA sequences.
Set the Default Visibility for Features and Primers
Toggle the "Show features" and "Show primers" buttons to display or hide features and primers.
Set the Default Appearance for Translations
Toggle the "Show translations" button to display or hide predicted translations for new or imported DNA sequences.
- Use the drop-down menu to choose "ORFs only" or specific reading frame combinations.
- Use the drop-down menu to select a preset minimum length for an ORF, or use the field to enter a custom minimum length.
- Check or uncheck the box to control whether start codons are required for predicted ORFs.
- Use the drop-down menu to specify the allowed start codons.
- Check the box labeled "except at DNA ends" to show truncated ORFs that begin at DNA ends.
Set the Default Map View Options for New or Imported DNA Sequences
- Toggle the "Show features on the DNA line" button to determine whether features are placed on the DNA line.
- Toggle the "Show feature labels" button to show or hide feature labels. Use the associated drop-down menu to choose between display of "Internal and external" labels, or "Internal" labels only.
- Toggle the "Show locations" button to show or hide locations (coordinates) for enzyme sites and primers.
Set the Default Sequence View Options
- Toggle the "Minimap" button to show or hide a minimap at the top of the window.
- Toggle the "Use 3-letter amino acid codes" button to show translations as either 1-letter or 3-letter codes.
- Toggle the "Fixed line width" button to use a fixed line width or to fit the window width. See Adjust Line Width in Sequence View for more information on this option.